The London 2012 Olympics has kicked off!
It hasn’t been without its surprises in the pool though…
Some of the big moments of day one were:
- Ryan Lochte takes out the 400 IM in style, finishing 3 seconds ahead of his nearest competitor.
- Michael Phelps misses out on the medals in 400 IM. Has he missed his taper, or will he come good in the next few days?
- Chinese young star Sun Yang storms home in the 400 freestyle over Park Tae-Hwan who was originally disqualified after a false start. Tae-Hwan was reinstated after a (rare) successful protest.
- 16 year old Chinese Ye Shiwen storms home in the 400 IM to beat US champion and event favourite Elizabeth Beisel. She came in an amazing 58 seconds for her freestyle leg, something most male competitors struggle to do.
- The Aussie girls touch out the Netherlands and US to win the 4×100 freestyle relay. The third time the Aussie girls have won the event. Can the boys back it up tomorrow?
All that on day one…how good is it going to get with 7 more days of swimming to go?!